Welcome
Welcome to the Landmark Baptist Discussion Board.

You are currently viewing the board as a guest, which gives you limited forum access and reduced feature capabilities. Joining the community will permit you to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, create polls, upload content, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free. So please, join our community today!

Cohabitation, a growing trend

If you have news that you feel relates to Landmark Baptists, place it here.
(Auto-prune set for 365 days since last post.)
Forum rules
:
: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." ~ Galatians 5:22-23
:
: Official Terms-of-Use, Terms-of-Membership, Rules, and Guidelines may be found here.

Cohabitation, a growing trend

Postby Rlvaughn » 2013 Aug 15 Thu 2:33 pm

the growing trend of cohabitation...has crept into the pews as fewer church members recognize cohabitation as a violation of biblical sexual ethics.

http://www.bpnews.net/BPFirstPerson.asp?ID=40909
Rlvaughn

Have thanks: 72 time

Re: Cohabitation, a growing trend

Postby Joker55 » 2013 Aug 16 Fri 4:19 am

I don't find this surprising although it is distressing. When you have preachers like Marc Driscoll advocating beer making for church members, things such as this seem a natural consequence. The slope is slippery indeed.
Joker55

Have thanks: 5 time

Postby Jonathan Melton » 2013 Aug 16 Fri 11:33 am

And the fact that the Baptist Book Store (ABA) in Texarkana sells this type of author is one reason, although I would not reject all ABA churches, is why I have rejected the ABA on an associational level.
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." Deuteronomy 33:27. "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" Amos 3:3
Jonathan Melton

Have thanks: 37 time

Postby Rlvaughn » 2013 Aug 16 Fri 5:07 pm

Marc Driscoll is a strange bird who is all over the place in faith and practice. I think anyone who bought his books would spend a lot of time spitting out bones, and would need to worry about those that got by and choked them.
Rlvaughn

Postby Joker55 » 2013 Aug 17 Sat 5:08 pm

Mr. Driscoll is indeed a man with a lot of sides to him. A 5 point Calvinist with a foul mouth, he has a large following. Just one of many wackos out there deceiving people.
Joker55

Postby Mark Osgatharp » 2013 Aug 17 Sat 8:02 pm

Brother Mark,

You said,

Joker55 wrote:I don't find this surprising although it is distressing. When you have preachers like Marc Driscoll advocating beer making for church members, things such as this seem a natural consequence. The slope is slippery indeed.

I would not defend Marc Driscoll as a minster of the gospel, but how does making beer compare to fornication? Remember, Jesus both made and drank wine.

Mark Osgatharp
Wynne, Arkansas
Mark Osgatharp

Have thanks: 104 time

Postby Joker55 » 2013 Aug 18 Sun 3:08 pm

The point being the slackness of Mr. Dricoll, in both making beer and meeting for fellowship in bars, advocates some things that lead to problems. I don't equate Jesus making wine with Mr. Dricoll's classes to make beer on a number of levels. I do not drink alcoholic beverages.I advocate total abstinence from them, having seen at close range the damage they do.
Joker55

Postby Mark Osgatharp » 2013 Aug 18 Sun 6:00 pm

Brother Mark,

Jesus made and drank wine and He has seen the damage that drunkenness does at a lot closer range than any of us. Again, i don't condone anything about Mr. Driscoll - I think he is a farce. But to compare drinking beer with fornicating is a faulty analogy.

I have no doubt there are many people in this world who use alcohol responsibly and without sin. By contrast, fornication is categorically evil - always and in every instance sinful. As the Scripture says, "whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."

For the record, in my experience among Landmark Baptists, from my youth up, I would judge that pre-marital fornication is about as common among us as among the population at large, and yet all our churches preach against it and most of them preach against all use of alcohol as a beverage.

Mark Osgatharp
Wynne, Arkansas
Mark Osgatharp

Postby Joker55 » 2013 Aug 19 Mon 6:11 am

Brother Mark,
I will not argue the point. Believe as you please. As Stonewall Jackson once said when the subject came up about whether drinking alcohol was a sin," I know it is not wrong not to drink it." Both my parents were alcoholics so I have a very strong opinion about drinking.
Joker55

Postby marmac » 2013 Aug 19 Mon 10:51 am

Although I love to chase a rabbit as much as anyone, it was very refreshing to me to see someone as the writer of the article on cohabitation (that's a PC word for "shacking up") advising to obey the Bible and not "shack up" (I'm not very PC).

The key is for churches to teach and practice church discipline. The reason that people who are members of churches do this is because the church won't do anything about it. Shame on those who tolerate "sin in the camp".
Pastor Marty McCoy
Schillinger Road Baptist Church
Mobile, Alabama
marmac

Have thanks: 63 time

Postby marmac » 2013 Aug 19 Mon 10:52 am

Mark Osgatharp wrote:Brother Mark,

You said,

Joker55 wrote:I don't find this surprising although it is distressing. When you have preachers like Marc Driscoll advocating beer making for church members, things such as this seem a natural consequence. The slope is slippery indeed.

I would not defend Marc Driscoll as a minster of the gospel, but how does making beer compare to fornication? Remember, Jesus both made and drank wine.

Mark Osgatharp
Wynne, Arkansas

Beer is not wine.
Pastor Marty McCoy
Mobile, Alabama

marmac has been thanked by:
marmac

Postby Mark Osgatharp » 2013 Aug 19 Mon 1:52 pm

Brother Marty,

You said,

Marty McCoy wrote:Beer is not wine.

Beer is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented hops. Wine is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented grapes or other fruits. So what is your point? That it was OK for Jesus to drink a fermented beverage made from grapes but that drinking a fermented beverage made from hops is comparable to whoredom?

Mark Osgatharp
Wynne, Arkansas
Mark Osgatharp

Postby marmac » 2013 Aug 20 Tue 8:42 am

Mark Osgatharp wrote:Brother Marty,

You said,

Marty McCoy wrote:Beer is not wine.

Beer is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented hops. Wine is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented grapes or other fruits. So what is your point? That it was OK for Jesus to drink a fermented beverage made from grapes but that drinking a fermented beverage made from hops is comparable to whoredom?

Mark Osgatharp
Wynne, Arkansas

My point is that neither beer nor wine was the subject of the thread. :mrgreen:
Pastor Marty McCoy
Mobile, Alabama
marmac

Postby Jonathan Melton » 2013 Aug 20 Tue 9:55 am

Quickly, wine is fermented. If leavened (fermented) bread is unacceptable in the Lord's Supper, in that it would picture sin in the Lord, then SO IS fermented juice also not allowable.

Secondly, you are ADDING TO the Word of God to say Jesus drank wine. He DID NOT say that. He said that He came EATING AND DRINKING, PERIOD.

Thirdly, how could drinking something, even moderately, be permissible, when God's Word tells us NOT TO LOOK UPON IT?
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." Deuteronomy 33:27. "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" Amos 3:3
Jonathan Melton

Postby lewr2 » 2013 Aug 30 Fri 3:14 am

Since the thread is about cohabitation amongst the churched/saved, what does a pastor do? Most of you I believe are pastors. How many less people would be in churches or on church rolls if biblical discipline actually took place.
Bro. Lew
lewr2

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby Jonathan Melton » 2013 Aug 30 Fri 6:49 am

This is one of the serious problems of Landmark Baptist churches today. Our Baptist forefathers would, I believe, be SPINNING IN THEIR GRAVES is they saw our atrocious lack of discipline today.
Jonathan Melton

Postby Rlvaughn » 2013 Aug 30 Fri 2:15 pm

Brother Lew,

We are a small church where everybody knows everybody, and have not had this problem. But first of all a pastor must teach God's expectations of marriage, and a church must stand together on this truth. This would hopefully go toward prevention before the fact. After the fact, the pastor and church must stand on God's expectations and if the parties will not repent they should be excluded. Repentance could be evidenced in a permanent separation or a temporary separation followed by marriage. This issue might not have much impact on the churches represented on this board, but in many churches this could reduce the rolls quite a bit.
Rlvaughn

Return to News Of Interest